Over the years I have acquired skills through the various job and leadership positions I had and I continue to improve these skills throughout my work now. Below is a list of skills along with examples and how I acquired them:
- Adobe Illustrator
- Through my job as the Bonner Leader Program Tech and Media Chair, I have to create flyers and posters for advertisement of projects that the program hosts. I have been working with Adobe Illustrator to create these flyers and posters and it has proven to be extremely useful in my work at the YWCA, as you see below:
- Since I am the Tech and Media Chair for the Bonner Leader Program, I have to update the HPU Bonner Leader webpage and the Service Learning webpage, and HPU uses WordPress. I also decided to use WordPress as my Bonner Profile website base. I have been learning tricks to making my site as good as can be and so far I have improved this skill greatly since 2015 Spring Semester when I switched from GoogleSites.
- Time management
- As a pre-medical student, I need to have great time management skills. I prioritize every activity I participate in. Academics are my main priority, and the Bonner Program comes next. Everything else I do really depends upon their relevance.
- I keep a planner with me and write down every assignment and it’s due date. I also transfer these due dates to my app “Things.” That app creates my to-do lists for the day and allows me to log them as completed as I finish them throughout the day. It also allows me to create projects and every step I need to complete the project in a timely manner. It is great for people like me who enjoy seeing my progress visually.
- I have held leadership position all throughout high school and now as an undergraduate student at High Point University. With these leadership positions I have been able to attend numerous leadership workshops, I have even been able to run my own leadership workshops. During high school I was New Mexico’s HOSA Vice-President and then their Representative, so at our State Fall and Spring Leadership Conferences I was able to gain and refine my leadership skills. At nationals as a state officer I was also able to be a part of the National HOSA Nomination Committee and I have been able to attend HOSA-101, which gave us a list of great leadership skills such as time management, and communication skills.